My research informs and is informed by my art, community work, and personal history. My art practice and community work transform my research. I create and iterate.
MIS-READING | A feminist library of arts and community work. >
I introduce “Family Notes” Project and read Ba/Father 23:03 at LA Review of Books 2019
Family Notes is a conversation toolkit to help facilitate intergenerational, multilingual conversations between loved ones. Rather than focus on genealogy and the concretizing of capital ‘H’ History, Family Notes welcomes the complexity of language and storytelling: non-linear, mythical-folkloric, creative, iterative, and collaborative. Family Notes Toolkit will include a 1) field notes style booklet, 2) an accompanying website for resources, and 3) ideas and examples of creative projects sparked by the conversations.
While writing and researching Family Notes, I will share resources, working chapters, and media here at my arts and community website with posts tagged #FamilyNotes. Follow along there or email your ideas and suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Talks and Community Work
Artist Talkback with Susan Lieu on her show “140LBS” (Boston, 2019)
My film “The Undeniable Force of Khó Khăn” premiere and Q& A at Viet Film Fest (Orange County, 2019)
Selected Publications, Film Premieres, and Public Readings
- Audio Poemscape “Flicker”, LA Review of Books Publab (2019)
- Essay “Confessions of a Vietnamese Refugee” and Film poetry “Liberation Time”, Diacritics (2019)
- Film “The Undeniable Force of Khó Khăn” California Premiere at Viet Film Festival (2019) and Artist Talkback, published Diacritics (2018)
- Essay “An Asian American’s Language of Mental Health,” If-Me.org mental health non-profit and open source project (2018)
- “Train/Xe lửa” Bi-lingual poetry on History, Memory, and Language published in independent Vietnamese and transpacific publisher AJAR PRESS, issue 5, song song || para||el, Fall (2017)
- Essay The Slow Undoing of Velcro Shoes (2017) | Visual publication on “The Thirsty” (2017)
- Essay How I had a feminist Asian American wedding (2016)