My research informs and is informed by my art, community work, and personal history. My art practice and community work transform my research. I create and iterate.
MIS-READING | A feminist library of arts and community work. >
I introduce “Family Notes” Project and read Ba/Father 23:03 at LA Review of Books 2019
Family Notes is a conversation toolkit to help facilitate intergenerational, multilingual conversations between loved ones. Rather than focus on genealogy and the concretizing of capital ‘H’ History, Family Notes welcomes the complexity of language and storytelling: non-linear, mythical-folkloric, creative, iterative, and collaborative. Family Notes Toolkit will include a 1) field notes style booklet, 2) an accompanying website for resources, and 3) ideas and examples of creative projects sparked by the conversations.
While writing and researching Family Notes, I will share resources, working chapters, and media here at my arts and community website with posts tagged #FamilyNotes. Follow along there or email your ideas and suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Public Talks and Community Work
Artist Talkback with Susan Lieu on her show “140LBS” (Boston, 2019)
My film “The Undeniable Force of Khó Khăn” premier and Q& A at Viet Film Fest (Orange County, 2019)
Essays & Published Works
- Essay “An Asian American’s Language of Mental Health” , If-Me.org mental health non-profit and open source project (2018)
- Art Publication: “Train/Xe lửa” Bi-lingual poetry on History, Memory, and Language in independent Vietnamese and global publisher AJAR PRESS,issue 5, song song || para||el, Fall (2017)
- The Slow Undoing of Velcro Shoes (2017)
- Imagining ‘America’: My Mother’s Refugee Journey to America (2017)
- Presenting my work, Presenting myself in Vietnamese (2016)
- How I had a feminist Asian American wedding (2016)