My research informs my personal life and community work. My life inspires my art. My art transforms my research. I create and iterate.
MIS-READING | A feminist library of arts and community work.
I introduce “Family Notes” Project and read Ba/Father 23:03 at LA Review of Books 2019
Family Notes is a conversation toolkit to help facilitate intergenerational, multilingual conversations between loved ones. Rather than focus on genealogy and the concretizing of capital ‘H’ History, Family Notes welcomes the complexity of language and storytelling: non-linear, mythical-folkloric, creative, iterative, and collaborative. Family Notes Toolkit will include a 1) field notes style booklet, 2) an accompanying website for resources, and 3) ideas and examples of creative projects sparked by the conversations.
While writing and researching Family Notes, I will share resources, working chapters, and media here at my arts and community website with posts tagged #FamilyNotes. Follow along there or email your ideas and suggestions to: email@example.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh5haeY1u6g “mis-” a prefix applied to various parts of speech, meaning “ill,” “mistaken,” “wrong,” “wrongly,” “incorrectly,” or simply negating: mistrial; misprint; mistrust. My current projects MISS meditates on the meaning of all things deemed ‘mis-‘ –wrong, dirty, broken, ‘abnormal.’ From misfits to misreading, misunderstandings to mistakes, MISS/MIS confronts the categorical imperative of labeling things as good/bad, yes/no, men/women, appropriate/not. I pause, ponder, and ask why? Join me on this journey > See all MIS-READING projects
Essays & Published Works
- Essay “An Asian American’s Language of Mental Health” , If-Me.org mental health non-profit and open source project (2018)
- Art Publication: “Train/Xe lửa” Bi-lingual poetry on History, Memory, and Language in independent Vietnamese and global publisher AJAR PRESS,issue 5, song song || para||el, Fall (2017)
- The Slow Undoing of Velcro Shoes (2017)
- Imagining ‘America’: My Mother’s Refugee Journey to America (2017)
- Presenting my work, Presenting myself in Vietnamese (2016)
- How I had a feminist Asian American wedding (2016)