On May 2016, I passed my comprehensive exams at UC Berkeley. Building up to that day I prepared for the exams by writing book summaries, reviews and commentary. I also scoured the internet, spent many hours talking through the books and questions with supportive colleagues. I wanted to share them here to help those also preparing for exams and to introduce good and formative works on Southeast Asia, Vietnam, colonial South Asia, and histories of classification and information.
Early Modern to Indochina Wars – Peter Zinoman, History
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY: Pre/Early Modern Vietnam (Taylor, Kelley, Woodside, Li, Choi, Dutton)
QUESTION: How Confucian is/was Vietnam? Alexander Woodside, Liam Kelley, Nola Cooke
ESSAY: Expressions of Borders and Place through the Sino-Vietnamese Relationship
QUESTION: When does the ‘modern’ begin in Vietnamese history? A Historiography Essay (Alexander Woodside, George Dutton, Benedict Anderson, David Marr, Charles Keith)
ESSAY: Generational Identities and Cultural Politics: A Historiography of Vietnamese 1920’s and 1930’s Student Movements
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY WWII, Vichy Indochina, August Revolution
- Goscha, Christopher E. Going Indochinese: Contesting Concepts of Space and Place in French Indochina. NIAS Classics Series,; No. 3. Copenhagen, Denmark,: NIAS Books, 2012.
- Hue-Tam Ho Tai. Millenarianism and Peasant Politics in Vietnam. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1983.
- Hue-Tam Ho Tai. Radicalism and the Origins of the Vietnamese Revolution. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1992.
- Huynh Kim Khanh. Vietnamese Communism 1925-1945. Cornell: Cornell University Press, 1982.
- Marr, David G. Vietnamese Anticolonialism, 1885-1925. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1971.
- Marr, David G. Vietnamese Tradition on Trial, 1920-1945. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1981.
- Keith, Charles. Catholic Vietnam: A Church from Empire to Nation. University of California Press, 2012.
- McHale, Shawn. Print and Power: Confucianism, Communism and Buddhism in the Making of Modern Vietnam. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 2004.
- Vũ Trọng Phụng, Lục Xì: Prostitution and Venereal Disease in Colonial Hanoi, trans. Shaun Kingsley Malarney (Honolulu: University of Hawaiʻi Press, 2011)
- Zinoman, Peter. The Colonial Bastille: A History of Imprisonment in Vietnam. 1862-1940. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2000.
- Zinoman, Peter. Vietnamese Colonial Republican: The Political Vision of Vũ Trọng Phụng. University of California Press, 2013.
Indochina Wars/Vietnam War
THINK PIECE ESSAY: Orthodox v. Revisionist v. Vietnam-Centrism in Vietnam War Histories (and the cases of Marilyn Young’s The Vietnam Wars (1991) and Guenter Lewy’s America in Vietnam (1978))
- Asselin, Pierre. “The Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the 1954 Geneva Conference: a revisionist critique,” Cold War History vol. 11, no.2 (May, 2011).
- Bradley, Mark Philip. Vietnam at War. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, USA, 2009.
- Fitzgerald, Frances. Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam. New York: Vintage Books, 1973.
- Goscha,Christopher. “A ‘Total War’ of Decolonization? Social Mobilization and State- Building in Communist Vietnam (1949-54),” War & Society, Vol. 31, No.2, (October 2012).
- Goscha, Christopher. “’Hell in a Very Small Place’ Cold War and Decolonisation in the Assault on the Vietnamese Body at Dien Bien Phu,” European Journal of East Asian Studies 9.2 (2010).
- Goscha,Christopher. “Colonial Hanoi and Saigon at War: Social Dynamics of the Viet Minh’s ‘Underground City,” 1945-1954,” War in History, 20(2) 2013.
- Hansen, Peter. “Bac Di Cu: Catholic Refugees from the North of Vietnam, and Their Role in the Southern Republic, 1954-1959,” Journal of Vietnamese Studies, Vol. 4 no.3 (Fall, 2009).
- Nha Ca, Mourning Headband for Hue: An Account of the Battle of Hue, Vietnam 1968 (1970) (translation by Olga Dror, University of Indiana Press, 2014).
- Miller, Edward Garvey. Misalliance Ngo Dinh Diem, the United States, and the Fate of South Vietnam. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2013.
- Sontag, Susan. Trip to Hanoi. Noonday 368. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1969.
- Vu, Tuong. “’To be Patriotic is to Build Socialism’: Communist Ideology in Vietnam’s Civil War,” Dynamics of the Cold War in Asia: Ideology, Identity and Culture edited by Tuong Vu and Wasana Wongsurawat (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009).
- Kennedy, Rory. Last Days in Vietnam. Documentary, History, War, 2014.
2. SOUTHEAST ASIA
Print Culture, Colonial, Memory – Penelope Edwards, Southeast Asian Studies
State of the Field
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY & KEY QUESTIONS The state of Southeast Asian Studies
Southeast Asia Colonialism and Modernity
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY & KEY QUESTIONS Southeast Asia Colonialism & Modernity
- Anderson, Benedict R. O’G. Imagined Communities Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. Rev. ed. London; New York: Verso, 2006.
- Edwards, Penny. Cambodge: The Cultivation of a Nation 1860-1945. University of Hawaii Press, 2007.
- Furnivall, J. S. Colonial Policy and Practice: A Comparative Study of Burma and Netherlands India, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1948.
- Mrázek, Rudolf. Engineers of Happy Land: Technology and Nationalism in a Colony. Princeton University Press, 2002.
- Winichakul, Thongchai . Siam Mapped: A History of the Geo-Body of a Nation. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1994.
Southeast Asia Print Culture and History of the Book
- Mrázek, Rudolf. A Certain Age: Colonial Jakarta through the Memories of Its Intellectuals. Durham, North Carolina: Duke University Press, 2010.
Southeast Asia Institutions of Memory: Museums & Libraries
3. SYSTEMS OF KNOWLEDGE
Agents & Institutions of Colonial Knowledge – Janaki Bakhle, History
Colonial Studies: Knowledge & Power
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY Colonial Studies Power: & Knowledge
ANALYSIS: Edward Said, Orientalism, and Caste: The Development of a Discourse and Field of Study
Colonial Knowledge: Craft (Missionaries, Ethnographers, Anthropologists)
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY The Crafting of Colonial Knowledge: Missionaries, Caste, Ethnography, Anthropology
- Cohn, Bernard. An Anthropologist Among Historians and Other Essays. Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Dirks, Nicholas B. Castes of Mind: Colonialism and the Making of Modern India. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2001.
- Dubois, J. A., and Henry K. Beauchamp. Hindu Manners, Customs and Ceremonies. 3d ed. Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1978.
- Dumont, Louis. Homo Hierarchicus: The Caste System and Its Implications. Complete Revised English edition. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1980.
- Durkheim, Émile. The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life. Translated by Joseph Ward Swain. New York: Free Press, 1965.
- Srinivas, Mysore Narasimhachar. Social Change in Modern India. The Rabindranath Tagore Memorial Lectures 1963. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1969.
- Županov, Ines G. Missionary Tropics: The Catholic Frontier in India (16th-17th Centuries). University of Michigan Press, 2005.
Information & the State: Institutions (Archives, Surveillance, Census, Libraries)
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY The Institutions of Colonial Knowledge: Archives, Surveillance, Census, Libraries, Print Culture
4. SYSTEMS OF KNOWLEDGE
Science of Classification, Histories of Information, Statistics – Cathryn Carson, History
History of Information, Enlightenment Knowledge
History of Information, Classification, Catalogs
History of Statistics and Quantification
5. DIGITAL HUMANITIES & DATA SCIENCE
Digital Humanities as Practice – David Bamman, School of Information
ANALYSIS Data and the Humanities: Digital Humanities and Disrupting Disciplinary Boundaries