See my entire Zotero Library. Of particular interest would be the following sublists in my Zotero library:
- ‘Course Readings‘: All the readings from my graduate courses at Michigan State University and UC Berkeley which includes courses such as Early/Modern Southeast Asia, China, and South Asia, and courses on History of Information, Data Science, and History of Science.
- ‘Libraries’: My collection of secondary literature on the history and theory of libraries, archives, and museums, especially in the context of Vietnam, former colonies, and Southeast Asia.
- ‘2015_Qualifying Exams‘: A collection of all the books for my qualifying exam lists.
As I prepare for my comprehensive exams at UC Berkeley, I will share my book summaries, reviews, and commentary on my blog. Below are links to book summaries/comments/questions I have completed.
Early Modern to Indochina Wars – Peter Zinoman, History
- Goscha, Christopher E. Going Indochinese: Contesting Concepts of Space and Place in French Indochina. NIAS Classics Series,; No. 3. Copenhagen, Denmark,: NIAS Books, 2012.
- Hue-Tam Ho Tai. Millenarianism and Peasant Politics in Vietnam. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1983.
- Hue-Tam Ho Tai. Radicalism and the Origins of the Vietnamese Revolution. Cambridge: Harvard University Press, 1992.
- Huynh Kim Khanh. Vietnamese Communism 1925-1945. Cornell: Cornell University Press, 1982.
- Marr, David G. Vietnamese Anticolonialism, 1885-1925. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1971.
- Marr, David G. Vietnamese Tradition on Trial, 1920-1945. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1981.
- Keith, Charles. Catholic Vietnam: A Church from Empire to Nation. University of California Press, 2012.
- McHale, Shawn. Print and Power: Confucianism, Communism and Buddhism in the Making of Modern Vietnam. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 2004.
- Vũ Trọng Phụng, Lục Xì: Prostitution and Venereal Disease in Colonial Hanoi, trans. Shaun Kingsley Malarney (Honolulu: University of Hawaiʻi Press, 2011)
- Zinoman, Peter. The Colonial Bastille: A History of Imprisonment in Vietnam. 1862-1940. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2000.
- Zinoman, Peter. Vietnamese Colonial Republican: The Political Vision of Vũ Trọng Phụng. University of California Press, 2013.
Indochina Wars/Vietnam War
- Asselin, Pierre. “The Democratic Republic of Vietnam and the 1954 Geneva Conference: a revisionist critique,” Cold War History vol. 11, no.2 (May, 2011).
- Bradley, Mark Philip. Vietnam at War. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press, USA, 2009.
- Fitzgerald, Frances. Fire in the Lake: The Vietnamese and the Americans in Vietnam. New York: Vintage Books, 1973.
- Goscha,Christopher. “A ‘Total War’ of Decolonization? Social Mobilization and State- Building in Communist Vietnam (1949-54),” War & Society, Vol. 31, No.2, (October 2012).
- Goscha, Christopher. “’Hell in a Very Small Place’ Cold War and Decolonisation in the Assault on the Vietnamese Body at Dien Bien Phu,” European Journal of East Asian Studies 9.2 (2010).
- Goscha,Christopher. “Colonial Hanoi and Saigon at War: Social Dynamics of the Viet Minh’s ‘Underground City,” 1945-1954,” War in History, 20(2) 2013.
- Hansen, Peter. “Bac Di Cu: Catholic Refugees from the North of Vietnam, and Their Role in the Southern Republic, 1954-1959,” Journal of Vietnamese Studies, Vol. 4 no.3 (Fall, 2009).
- Nha Ca, Mourning Headband for Hue: An Account of the Battle of Hue, Vietnam 1968 (1970) (translation by Olga Dror, University of Indiana Press, 2014).
- Miller, Edward Garvey. Misalliance Ngo Dinh Diem, the United States, and the Fate of South Vietnam. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2013.
- Sontag, Susan. Trip to Hanoi. Noonday 368. New York: Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1969.
- Vu, Tuong. “’To be Patriotic is to Build Socialism’: Communist Ideology in Vietnam’s Civil War,” Dynamics of the Cold War in Asia: Ideology, Identity and Culture edited by Tuong Vu and Wasana Wongsurawat (New York: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009).
- Kennedy, Rory. Last Days in Vietnam. Documentary, History, War, 2014.
2. SOUTHEAST ASIA
Print Culture, Colonial, Memory – Penelope Edwards, Southeast Asian Studies
State of the Field
Southeast Asia Colonialism and Modernity
- Anderson, Benedict R. O’G. Imagined Communities Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism. Rev. ed. London; New York: Verso, 2006.
- Edwards, Penny. Cambodge: The Cultivation of a Nation 1860-1945. University of Hawaii Press, 2007.
- Furnivall, J. S. Colonial Policy and Practice: A Comparative Study of Burma and Netherlands India, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1948.
- Mrázek, Rudolf. Engineers of Happy Land: Technology and Nationalism in a Colony. Princeton University Press, 2002.
- Winichakul, Thongchai . Siam Mapped: A History of the Geo-Body of a Nation. Honolulu: University of Hawaii Press, 1994.
Southeast Asia Print Culture and History of the Book
- Mrázek, Rudolf. A Certain Age: Colonial Jakarta through the Memories of Its Intellectuals. Durham, North Carolina: Duke University Press, 2010.
Southeast Asia Institutions of Memory: Museums & Libraries
3. SYSTEMS OF KNOWLEDGE
Agents & Institutions of Colonial Knowledge – Janaki Bakhle, History
Colonial Studies: Knowledge & Power
Colonial Knowledge: Craft (Missionaries, Ethnographers, Anthropologists)
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY The Crafting of Colonial Knowledge: Missionaries, Caste, Ethnography, Anthropology
- Cohn, Bernard. An Anthropologist Among Historians and Other Essays. Oxford University Press, 1998.
- Dirks, Nicholas B. Castes of Mind: Colonialism and the Making of Modern India. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2001.
- Dubois, J. A., and Henry K. Beauchamp. Hindu Manners, Customs and Ceremonies. 3d ed. Delhi: Oxford University Press, 1978.
- Dumont, Louis. Homo Hierarchicus: The Caste System and Its Implications. Complete Revised English edition. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1980.
- Durkheim, Émile. The Elementary Forms of the Religious Life. Translated by Joseph Ward Swain. New York: Free Press, 1965.
- Srinivas, Mysore Narasimhachar. Social Change in Modern India. The Rabindranath Tagore Memorial Lectures 1963. Berkeley: University of California Press, 1969.
- Županov, Ines G. Missionary Tropics: The Catholic Frontier in India (16th-17th Centuries). University of Michigan Press, 2005.
Information & the State: Institutions (Archives, Surveillance, Census, Libraries)
ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY The Institutions of Colonial Knowledge: Archives, Surveillance, Census, Libraries, Print Culture
4. SYSTEMS OF KNOWLEDGE
Science of Classification, Histories of Information, Statistics – Cathryn Carson, History
History of Information, Enlightenment Knowledge
History of Information, Classification, Catalogs
History of Statistics and Quantification
5. DIGITAL HUMANITIES & DATA SCIENCE
Digital Humanities as Practice – David Bamman, School of Information